As summer winds down (we know...we're trying not to cry too), taking full advantage of local farmers markets and the variety of fresh produce they offer becomes and even higher priority. We have to soak it up while we can!
Here's an amazing, wild and unique recipe we found that will help you out. Combine some wild herbs, cherries, LOTS of garlic and LOTS of farmers market fresh love for this healthy and tasty side dish.
Thanks to CBC and the Canadians for this gem!
- 1 lb of small beets.
- 1 clove black garlic.
- 1 clove white garlic.
- 1 bunch wild garlic.
- 10 bing (sweet) cherries.
- 2 tbsp. dark balsamic vinegar.
- 3 tbsp. avocado oil, plus more for dressing beets and wild garlic.
- ½ tsp. grainy dijon mustard.
- 1 sprig mint.
- Handful of wild herbs.
- Wash the beets, drizzle with some avocado oil and wrap with foil. Bake at 375 F until tender.
- While the beets are baking blend the bunch of wild garlic with salt and more avocado oil until smooth. Set aside.
- Slice white garlic thin and deep fry until light brown (the darker the garlic, the more bitter it becomes.) Set aside.
- Slice black garlic thin and set aside.
- Pit cherries and blend with balsamic vinegar, mustard and avocado oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Peel the beets once cooked under cold water. The skin should slide off the beets very easily. Once peeled dress with the salad dressing and lay on the plate. Sprinkle with the three kinds of garlic. Add the fresh mint, wild herbs and enjoy.