SALADS, Sauces & Sides
Grilled Potato Salad with Black Garlic Vinaigrette - Shared by the Pinterest Community
Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 20 mins | Total Time: 35 mins | Yield: 4 servings
- 24 oz = 1 ½ lbs baby potatoes
- 4 cloves black garlic
- 4 T oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 T rice wine vinegar
- 1 T chives
- 2-3 T fresh dill, cilantro, Italian parsley or tarragon.
- 1 Cup sour cream
- 2 T fresh dill
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 T finely chopped onion or shallot
- salt, pepper, sugar
- Preheat grill to med high heat.
- Blanch potatoes in salted boiling water, until just tender, about 10-15 minutes, depending on size.
- Mash black garlic with a fork with salt and 1 T oil, until it become a chunky paste. Add the remaining oil, vinegar, and pepper.
- Strain the tender potatoes, and toss with 1 T of the vinaigrette, just enough to lightly coat. Grill the potatoes until nicely charred.
- Toss with the rest of the vinaigrette, and fresh herbs.
- Serve with dilled sour cream
- To make dill sour cream: whisk one cup sour cream with a little lemon zest, squeeze of ½ a lemon, 2-3 T fresh dill, 1 T chopped shallot, salt and pepper to taste, and pinch of sugar.
Roasted Eggplant with Black Garlic, Pine Nuts and Basil - Shared by Nopi
Prep Time: 15 - 20 minutes | Cook Time: 45 minutes | Servings: 4-5
5 medium eggplants, trimmed (3 pounds)
½ cup olive oil, plus extra to serve
2/3 cup plain yogurt
1/3 ounce basil leaves
¾ ounce pine nuts, toasted
coarse sea salt and black pepper
Black garlic dressing
1 ¾ ounces peeled black garlic cloves
1 ½ teaspoons rose harissa (or regular harissa)
1 teaspoon pomegranate molasses
2 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
¼ teaspoon urfa chile flakes (or a pinch of regular dried chile flakes)
½ teaspoon cocoa powder
3 ½ tablespoons olive oil
Preheat the oven to 425°F/220°C (390°F/220°C convection).
Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise, and then again widthwise. Cut each section into wedges about 1 1/4inches wide and 4 inches long, and place in a large mixing bowl along with the olive oil, 1 tablespoon of salt, and a good grind of black pepper. Mix well, then spread the eggplants out on two parchment-lined baking sheets—you don’t want them to be overcrowded—skin-side down. Roast in the oven for about 40 minutes, until well cooked and golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
Place all the ingredients for the dressing in the small bowl of a food processor, along with ¼ teaspoon of salt. Blitz for about 2 minutes, until a very smooth paste is formed.
Place the eggplant in a large mixing bowl. Add the garlic dressing and use your hands to stir very gently: you want the eggplant to be coated without disintegrating completely. Leave for an hour or so, if there is time to spare. Spread the yogurt out on a platter or individual plates and arrange the eggplant wedges on top. Sprinkle over the basil leaves—tearing the large ones as you go—and the pine nuts. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil and serve.
Black Garlic Compound Butter - Shared by the Pinterest Community
Prep Time: 5 mins | Yield: 8 servings | Total Time: 2 hours
- 1 bulb of Black Garlic, peeled
- 8 oz butter, unsalted, softened
- Using a rubber spatula or a hand mixer combine black garlic and butter until thoroughly and evenly mixed
- Line a small bowl with plastic wrap. Transfer the butter mixture into it, pushing it down and spreading it evenly.
- Wrap the butter with the rest of the plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or until ready to serve.
Black Garlic Mayo - Shared by BGNA Kitchen
Prep Time: 10 - 15 minutes
- 1 whole egg
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced (optional)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- 1.5 Tablespoon Black Garlic Puree
- 1 Tablespoon Sriracha, to taste
Combine egg, dijon mustard and lemon juice in a jar jsut wide enough for the head of your immersion blender. Pour oil on top and wait for ingredients to settle before blending, keeping the head of the blender on the bottom of the jar. Slowly rotate the head around and up and down until the mixture is homogenous. Season to taste with salt. Whisk in black garlic puree and sriracha.
Black Garlic and Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette - Collaboration by BGNA Kitchen & Green City Market
Prep Time: 5 minutes
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. maple cream
- 1 tbsp. Black Garlic Puree
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- dash of salt and pepper
Blend all of the ingredients together EXCEPT for the oil. Then pour the mixture into the oil and mix until emulsified.
Black Garlic Coleslaw - Shared by BGNA Kitchen
Prep time: 20 Min | Total Time: 2 hours (including chilling time) | Servings: 4-6
- 1 cup mayonnaise (substitute low-fat if preferred)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 Black Garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon of celery seed
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, sugar, celery seed, salt, and pepper. Add shredded cabbage and carrots. Served chilled.
Black Garlic Dip - Shared by the PINTEREST Community
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 1 8 oz. tub of cream cheese
- 1 8 oz. tub of sour cream
- 1/2 – 1 Tbsp of horseradish
- 2 Black Garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 stalks of chives, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
Mix everything together except for chives and horseradish. You can use a food processor to do this and just throw the black garlic in without chopping it up first. Otherwise a hand mixer will work. Once mixed, stir in the chives and horseradish.
Black Garlic Vinaigrette - Shared by the PINTEREST Community
Prep Time: 1.5 hours
- 8 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cups rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup Black Garlic cloves
- 4 fresh garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
In a small saucepan, combine the mushrooms and the vinegar, and simmer over low heat until the vinegar becomes fragrant with mushroom aroma, about 1 hour. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature. With your hands, squeeze the extra vinegar from the mushrooms back into the pan. Save the mushrooms for another use.
In a blender or food processor, purée the vinegar with the black garlic or roasted garlic, fresh garlic, brown sugar, kosher salt, and oil. Transfer to a container and refrigerate for up to 1 month.
Black Garlic, black bean, red pepper, corn & quinoa - Shared by Michel C., Ottawa, Canada
Prep Time: 30 mins | Cook Time: 25 mins | Servings: 4-6
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- half cup Quinoa, rinsed in cold water and drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Quarter teaspoon each of ground cumin and salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Ground pepper
- 1 cup cooked or canned black beans, drained
- 1 cup cooked corn kernels (frozen ok)
- 1 red pepper, chopped (can use other color)
- 1 tomato chopped
- 2 scallions finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro/coriander
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 Black Garlic clove, chopped
- Fresh green leaf lettuce or spinach
Heat 1 tbsp. of oil in 1 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add quinoa and stir until toasted (5min) stir in broth, cumin, salt. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 min until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat let stand covered for 5 min. Fluff with fork.
While the quinoa is cooling, whisk together the remaining olive oil, the lime juice, black pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in the black beans, corn, red pepper, tomato, scallions, cilantro, parsley and black garlic. Stir in the quinoa. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate until 30 min before serving. Serve on a bed of lettuce or spinach.
Kale, Carrot, Avocado and Black Garlic Salad - Shared by BGNA Kitchen
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Servings: 4-6
1 bunch kale, stemmed and finely chopped
2 cups grated carrots
1/2 avocado, peeled and pitted
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
2 Tablespoons leon juice
2 Tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
2 Tablespoons Black Garlic, finely chopped
In a large bowl, toss all ingredients together except black garlic. Use the back of a wooden spoon to mash the avocado into the kale. Add the black garlic. Set aside for 30 minutes. Serve at room temperature.