Ah sweet summertime! We are loving this sunshine, warmth and (of course) the Farmers Markets! The fresh fruit and veggies, grass-fed and ethically-raised meat and dairy, and the opportunity to visit with the community are really the best part of this season for us. Farmers Markets are so special because it gives us the chance to visit with YOU and let those new to black garlic try our products.
This salad from Red is the perfect post-market lunch. Use those fresh tomatoes you've just purchased, avocados if you're lucky enough to find those locally, and local fresh mozzarella to create this burst of summer freshness for lunch. Black garlic adds the perfect unique flavor to this classic summer favorite. And it's super healthy to boot!
And if you're around the Chicago area, come and visit us! We'll be at local farmers markets every weekend until the end of October. Check out our schedule here.
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 8 ripe plum tomatoes at room temperature
- A handful of freshly washed and dried basil leaves
- 400 g mozzarella (try buffalo or fior di latte)
- 8 cloves of black garlic, peeled and sliced
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped
- 8 small cloves of peeled black garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp balsamic or sherry vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- Salt and pepper
- 100 ml olive oil
- 57 ml groundnut or rice bran or grapeseed oil
- To make the salad dressing. Using a blender or small processor, purée together the first four ingredients, then season with salt and freshly ground pepper and slowly whisk in the oils, creating an emulsion. This can be done by hand if you prefer.
- Keep the salad dressing in a jar, refrigerated and shake well to mix before using.
- To make the tricolore salad, wash, dry and cut the tomatoes, slice the mozzarella and arrange attractively on a plate or platter and drizzle with the salad dressing.
- Serve with crusty bread.